It's true. Teenagers are mean little creatures. I'm glad I never was one. No, but really. What is it about high school that makes people mean, cruel and dramatic? I graduated early because I was done with drama and mean girls. Now I realize, I wasn't the only one that felt that way. And I'm still not the only one. I hear about these poor girls in high school still that come home from school in tears because of mean people. I read about it on Facebook and hear it through the grape vine. It's so sad. A lot of times it's people who they thought were their friends and the next day they are suddenly no longer friends. What is it that drives us to be so mean to each other in high school? Was it maybe just the high school that I went to?
What I have learned...
High school means absolutely nothing. The only part of high school that truly matters is your diploma (it's important in life, trust me). Nothing else will truly matter after you graduate though. Yes, the memories are fun. But you move on in life. For most people you move to a new place, make new adult friends (who are not dramatic and mean), and you live life. You find people that really matter to you, you truly fall in love with someone (i'm not just talking about 'puppy love'. Trust me, the real thing is a million times better), and your life starts coming into perspective. You appreciate your parents more, you love your family more openly and make higher efforts to spend time with them and tell them how much you love them, and you grow in your faith and religion.
One lesson that has never failed though (and remember, this is from my own experience)...is mean girls don't get far. From what i've seen, a lot of the girls that were 'all that' in high school haven't had even a fraction of the amazing experiences that i've had. There are some that are pregnant with a 60 year old mans child, others who still live with their parents, have no job, and are 21 years old, some ran off to Vegas on the night of graduation and got married and never even had a chance to get out and see the world and have awesome experiences.
I'm not trying to offend anybody. I know some people really do grow up, and it's awesome! The point that I am trying to make here though, is for the girls that are dealing with this right now. Know that it isn't the end of the world. Really it's just a small fraction of life that may seem miserable, but once you move to the next phase of life you realize that life is awesome and you shrug off the mean people from high school and move on to life. Plus...added bonus it's always fun to see them pop up on facebook a few years after high school and realize they aren't really "all that".
It's true. I hated high school because of mean self absorbed girls who loved to label and ruin other girls lives. I had a poor reputation and was considered a snob simply because I was shy and had a lot of family issues. Even though I didn't get to go to college for long and was "that girl" who had a baby one year after graduating, I've never been happier than I am right now! Family and good friends is what matters. God is what matters. Being a good person is what matters. If you value appearances and boys and parties more than that, you really don't have anything.
ReplyDelete