"Another thing we need to remember when it comes to setting goals is this: We almost certainly will fail- at least in the short term. But rather than be discouraged, we can be empowered because this understanding removes the pressure of being perfect right now. It acknowledges from the beginning that at one time or another, we may fall short. Knowing this up front takes away much of the surprise and discouragement of failure.
When we approach our goals this way, failure doesn't have to limit us. Remember, even if we fail to reach our ultimate, desired destination right away, we will have made progress along the road that will lead to it.
And that matters-it means a lot.
Even though we might fall short of our finish line, just continuing the journey will make us greater than we were before."
This gave me my hope and encouragement. No one is perfect, and I most certainly will fall in these goals I set, but I can get back up and dust myself and I'm further than I started. I can keep going. I'm pretty sure this talk was seriously written just for ME. I love how Heavenly Father speaks to me through special ways. When I listen to the Holy Ghost I am directed to the message my Heavenly Father wants me to hear. Anyway, back to the subject :)
I also feel like a failure that I didn't jump on this January 1st. It's now the evening of the 5th, so in reality I won't get going until the 6th. Again, President Uchtdorf had a confirmation for me...
"The best time to being is now. An old proverb says, "The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second-best time is now."
There is something wonderful and hopeful about the word now. There is something empowering about the fact that if we choose to decide now, we can move forward at this very moment.
Now is the best time to start becoming the person we eventually want to be- not only 20 years from now but also for all eternity.
So there it is folks. The whole message encouraged and inspired me. Here I am. Jumping on the bandwagon. As of NOW, January 5th, I am making my resolutions. And when I fail I can get up and keep going.
So my 2014 resolutions are:
- Cook more for my family.
- Get straight A's
- Spend less time on Facebook/Pinterest/Instagram
- Spend more time playing with my amazing little boy
- Read in my spare time (don't get on social media)
- Be kinder (We can all strive to be a little kinder, right? :))
No comments:
Post a Comment